I’m not a girl scout. But I can def adhere to the sentiment of being prepared, so you aren’t left hungry with no safe gluten free options to eat in a pinch.
Here is how I prepare:
- I buy things in bulk that have a long shelf life – there are many healthy GF options out there for this luckily!
- I cook my lunches for work the night before, and store in safe GF only Tupperware.
- I ALWAYS carry snacks in my purse, as women it’s easy to get away with toting around food without others really knowing, dudes can use laptop bags if they aren’t into using a “murse”.
Everyday items. Here are top things I usually tote around with me:
- Carrot sticks: you can buy carrot sticks in small individual pouches at most grocery stores and even walgreens or buy in bulk and divide up a days worth portion in a zip lock baggie! You could also do this with apple slices and hell just having an orange or banana ALWAYS good and easy to carry around as they have a natural cover!
- Walnuts: Or any other nut you might like or aren’t allergic too (sorry if you are allergic to nuts *I’m just rubbing it in aren’t I?) I love walnuts personally and find them earthy and hearty. I also like buying planters nut snack packs in bulk and throwing those in my purse on any given day.
- Lucy’s cookies: Another thing I like to buy in bulk are Lucy brand cookies … individual and snack sized!! Cause sometimes I just need a cookie.
- Amy’s fruit snacks: Again individually packed, don’t need to refrigerate so that’s a bonus!
- Dried Cranberries: Tart, sweet, and easy to snack on the go.
Now after a long day at work, I sometimes hate the idea of having to cook. By the time I get home from a work day, I’m starving. It’s good to have some backbone in your kitchen arsenal especially with this whole gluten free thang. I have on deck most of the time:
- Instant mashed potatoes
- Frozen potatoes
- Frozen Veggies
- GF Pizza dough mix
- GF bread
You can imagine I can do a number of things with these ingredients in a pinch. And I can instead go to the store everyday for fresh veggies and such to make compliment these on deck, mostly easy to store items.